My name is Sashin and I exist. There are things I would like to say, and this is a place for me to say them.
Writing and Thinking
I have been called a "translator of ideas".
I don't believe that there are firm boundaries between different disciplines: science, history, economics, the humanities, philosophy, mathematics and everything we do are ways of engaging with the same reality.
For me, writing is a part of the thinking process. I chase after the answer to questions that interest and concern me, and when I hit publish it is a way of sharing it with all of you. When you are in love, you need to tell the world, right?
There are three questions that I have been especially interested in addressing through my work.
- How do we know what we know (known as epistemology in philosophy)
- How do we live happily in the world (often under the umbrella of positive psychology in academia, historically this has been addressed by religion and spirituality)
- How do we solve the world's most pressing problems? (Climate change, poverty, disease, animal suffering etc; I'm especially interested in the philosophy of effective altruism)
The progress we see in the world is downstream from our actions, the actions we take to improve it are downstream from our thinking. May these thoughts I share here be of benefit to all.
Want to use any of my work?
All my work is marked with a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike licence.
Essentially, you may do as you like with anything on this site as long as you follow two rules:
- You give credit where it is due
- You share your work similarly to mine
If you would like to use anything I have written for a strictly commercial or otherwise closed-source project, please send me an email.